School bus routes shall be based upon the permanent residences of eligible students (those living one mile or greater from school). However, eligible students desiring transportation services within their school attendance area to and from a location other than their permanent residence may be permitted to receive such services on a space-available, first-come, first-served basis. This applies for day care provisions for elementary students and alternative custody arrangements. Parents or guardians must complete an application to the Transportation Department in order to receive route change approval. Application request forms shall be made available at the Transportation Department or on the Liberty Public School website. Requests for the new school year should be made by July 1st.
Criteria for Approval
- Eligibility, based on a student’s permanent residence, must be validated.
- The alternate route must be located in the same school attendance area as the permanent residence and the alternate address must be one mile or greater from school.
- Bus stops and routes will not be altered to accommodate requests. Only existing stops on existing routes will be used.
- Space availability on buses will be determined as follows:
- Eligible students - by permanent address
- Eligible students - by alternate route request (sorted by date and time request was received in transportation).
- Should requests for services exceed the bus capacity, the alternate route assignment may be discontinued by reversing the priorities set forth above.
- Morning and afternoon assignments must be consistent. Students are permitted to board assigned and/or alternate school buses only. Variations to the assigned schedule will require the parent to provide transportation.
The Transportation Department will notify the parent by the phone number listed on the request as soon as possible following the submission. Requests before July 1st will be notified before school starts. After July 1st, routes are finalized and determination cannot be made until ridership is established which will happen at least 2 weeks after school starts. Parents will be required to provide transportation until notified by the Transportation Department that their student has been routed on the alternate bus. The Transportation Department should be notified prior to any changes to the alternate address.
Parents are required to reapply for alternate routes for the next school year.
If the capacity of the bus is exceeded, the approval of the alternate route may be discontinued. If this is necessary, parents will be notified by the Transportation Department.